*Please note that due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are unable to permit the public into our shelters to view our adoptable animals. All adoptions are by appointment only. Thank you for your understanding and patience.*
Adopting a shelter pet is a rewarding and life-changing experience, for you AND for your new best friend. At Hawaii Island Humane Society, our mission is to enhance the bond between humans and animals. Pets are a lifelong commitment. As living beings, pets have physical, social, and emotional needs. Our trained Lifesaving Programs team utilizes progressive, conversational adoption counseling to help make the best matches for not only our shelter pets, but also for you! In line with national best practices and animal welfare industry standards, our goals are to remove barriers to adoption while also helping our shelter pets live their best lives as companion animals.
3. Wait to hear from an adoption counselor to schedule a meet and greet.* Our adoption counselors review adoption applications on Mondays and Tuesdays. Please do NOT contact our adoption counselors about the status of your application. Meet and Greets, and pet pick ups are scheduled on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays (Keaau and the Animal Community Center only.)
*Please note: Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are unable to respond to every applicant individually. Our adoptions team will contact you if we think you may be the right match for one of our shelter pets. We strictly prohibit the use of foster/shelter dogs for any activity other than being a companion animal.
FOSTER TO ADOPT Program:
1. Foster to Adopt is for those strictly looking to ADOPT (not for those interested in temporarily housing an animal. Interested in strictly fostering? Visit http://hihs.org/programs/foster for more info!)
2. Our Foster to Adopt program is for dogs and cats ages 6 months and older ONLY.
3. With consideration to the well being of our animals, and the capacity of our staff, Foster to Adopt is not meant to be a series of serial trial runs. We ask that those committing to adopt are serious in their interest and work with our adoption counselors, prior to bringing an animal home, to make a good match for you and your family.
4. Foster to Adopt families and individuals will be given a maximum of 3 weeks to spend with their Foster to Adopt pet, prior to being asked to either adopt that animal, return the animal to shelter, or continue fostering the animal with the intention to allow someone else to adopt the pet.
5. While in Foster to Adopt homes, pets remain the legal and financial responsibility of Hawaii Island Humane Society, until such a time that the animal is adopted.
6. All pets must be spayed or neutered, and microchipped prior to leaving the shelter. If the pet you are interested in bringing home is not yet spayed or neutered, we will schedule them for surgery and schedule a time for you to pick up the pet from our shelter.
7. Foster to Adopt Meet and Greets and pet pick-ups are by appointment only.
8. As soon as you know that you are ready to adopt, just let our team know! We offer 3 easy ways to finalize your pet's adoption
Further questions? Our adoption counselors can be reached at:
Meagan (Keaau shelter)
808-966-5458, press option 1
Alyssa (The Animal Community Center in Holualoa (Kona))
808-329-1175, press option 1
Zeke (Waimea shelter)
808-885-4558, press option1